A beautiful door is one of those subtle necessities that can make a big difference in your home’s style. Like trim or moulding, most doors go fairly unnoticed, but they can have a dramatic effect on the look of the room. Since most of us purchase or rent homes with the doors already installed, we often look right past them. Buying a house vs a condo which one is best for the people.
But an interior door is a vital part of a house, and there should be a good amount of thought that goes into choosing one. If you’re building, remodelling or just looking to change up the look of a room, picking a new interior door is an important step. Style, materials, soundproofing and door swing are just some of the points to consider when sorting through the endless options for interior doors. Check Cartoons Torrents WebSites
The style of your door can make a big difference in your home’s design. Feel free to mix and match a little – it can give your home a fun and eclectic look – but try to keep some elements the same so that there’s a sense of flow throughout the house.
Be sure to pay attention to the overall size and feel of a room. A massive and ornate door may overwhelm tiny rooms, making them feel smaller instead of bigger.
You can usually choose between a right-hand or left-hand door swing when ordering or customising a door. This will determine where the hinges and handles are, and which way the door swings when it opens and closes.
Whichever side the handle is on as the door opens toward you will decide whether it’s a right-hand or a left-hand door. For example, a door that has the handle on the right side when it opens toward you is a right-hand swing door.
Ideally, a door should never open into a hall or corridor, so try to keep that in mind when choosing which way your door swings.
Framing a door incorrectly can quickly detract from the value of a beautiful and expensive door. Using cheap framing materials or construction shortcuts can often lead to damage on the door, and can cost more in the long run. Make sure to follow instructions carefully, or hire help when framing a new interior door.
Doors can be bought pre-hung or as slabs. A pre-hung door comes mounted in a frame with its hinges attached to the doorjamb. A slab door comes just as the door itself – you’ll need to install hinges and the door frame to make sure that the door is hung properly.
Door sound ratings
Interior doors are given an STC (sound transmission class), which measures the amount of of sound loss through the door. The higher the STC number, the less sound will pass through the door. Of course, this will mostly depend on what the door is actually made of. Generally, 25 is on the lower end of the STC scale (most normal speech can be heard through these doors), 40 is in the middle and anything over 60 should be almost entirely soundproof.
Types of doors
There are nearly endless types and styles of doors to consider – particularly as exterior door trends have become popular in interiors. Before falling for a design, be practical first: How much room do you have? What do you need? 9 kinds of doors to consider:
1. Sliding doors are usually made of wood, glass or are lined with mirrors. Many of these doors are used as closet doors when installed in the interior of a house. They take up a minimal amount of space because the doors slide along the wall rather than swing open.
Take a look at these internal sliding doors
2. Pocket doors are used all over the house. Most commonly used in turn-of-the-century homes, they’ve become more common because of their space-saving construction. Unlike sliding doors, pocket doors actually slide into the wall, rather than along the side of it.
3. Folding doors (usually in a bi-fold form) fold in on either side, and are usually used in closets, laundry rooms, pantries and other small spaces.
4. Flush doors are more contemporary, simple doors smooth on both sides, and generally made of plywood or MDF.
5. Barn doors were, of course, originally found on barns. But they’ve been adopted for interior and exterior doors on residential homes, and are great for rooms with a more industrial or rustic look.
6. Panel doors are the most common doors seen in houses today. Usually made of wood or MDF, they’re designed with a classic pattern of square panels.
Browse through images of barn doors