A Computer Technician is a professional who is tasked with maintaining computer systems, troubleshooting errors, and repairing the organization’s hardware. These professionals use their knowledge and often obtain a Certificate as Networking Technician to provide technical support for both employees and customers onsite or remotely.
- 1 Computer Technician responsibilities include:
- 2 Job brief
- 3 Responsibilities
- 4 Requirements and skills
- 5 Frequently asked questions
Computer Technician responsibilities include:
- Setting up hardware and installing and configure software and drivers
- Maintaining and repairing technological equipment (e.g. routers) or peripheral devices
- Installing well-functioning LAN/WAN and other networks and manage components (servers, IPs etc.)
We are looking for a qualified Computer Technician to install, maintain and repair computers and networks. You will be the one to ensure that adequate IT infrastructure is in place and is used to its maximum capabilities.
As a computer technician you must be well-versed in computer systems and network functions. The ideal candidate will be able to work diligently and accurately and will possess a great problem-solving ability in order to fix issues and ensure functionality.
The goal is to install and maintain high quality networks and computer systems.
- Set up hardware and install and configure software and drivers
- Maintain and repair technological equipment (e.g. routers) or peripheral devices
- Install well-functioning LAN/WAN and other networks and manage components (servers, IPs etc.)
- Manage security options and software in computers and networks to maintain privacy and protection from attacks
- Perform regular upgrades to ensure systems remain updated
- Troubleshoot system failures or bugs and provide solutions to restore functionality
- Arrange maintenance sessions to discover and mend inefficiencies
- Keep records of repairs and fixes for future reference
- Offer timely technical support and teach users how to utilize computers correctly
Requirements and skills
- Proven experience as computer technician or similar role
- Experience with LAN/WAN networks
- Thorough knowledge of computer systems and IT components
- Good knowledge of internet security and data privacy principles
- Excellent troubleshooting skills
- Very good communication abilities
- Exceptional organizing and time-management skills
- BSc/BA in Computer Science, engineering or relevant field
- Relevant certifications (e.g. CompTIA A+) will be an advantage
Frequently asked questions
What does a Computer Technician do?
A Computer Technician installs, maintains, and repairs computer hardware and software for an organization. They also troubleshoot user problems to find solutions for their clients.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Computer Technician?
Computer Technicians have many different day-to-day responsibilities, such as installing new hardware or software systems, diagnosing computer issues that arise during the day, and maintaining them by updating the systems as needed. They also fix network connectivity issues.
What makes a good Computer Technician?
A good Computer Technician has excellent problem-solving and critical thinking skills, and extensive technical knowledge of the field. They must also know how to efficiently optimize systems while improving network security, as well as have strong communication skills to provide timely support when needed.
Who does a Computer Technician work with?
Typically, Computer Technicians work with an organization’s employees in different departments to help fix their computer problems, but they will also work with other IT Help Desk Technicians to provide the best support possible.
Also read about hardware resources use12