Nowadays, we are all well familiar with canned or bottled and jarred packaged goods. This is very common for us, but it was not in the past. It was a kind of invention to help people in carrying goods efficiently.
As the transportation and movement of people worldwide increased, there is an exponential hike in the movement of goods also. When people use to move from one place to another, they carry their stuff with them. In this way, every culture and especially the food, was spread around the globe. All this led to business opportunities when people started producing goods of different cultures in different parts of the world.
But the challenge was how to transport and move these goods to the consumers. This is where the idea of bottled and jarred packaged goods is introduced in the market.
- 1 Bottled and Jarred Packaged Goods
- 1.1 What are packaged goods?
- 1.2 What is bottled and jarred packaged goods?
- 1.3 Industrial or business view of bottled and jarred packaged goods:
- 1.4 Reasons for which people prefer bottled and jarred packaged goods:
- 1.5 Advantages of bottled and jarred packaged goods:
- 1.6 Disadvantages of bottled and jarred packaged goods:
Bottled and Jarred Packaged Goods
The idea of bottled and jarred packaged goods became popular within a bit of time as it made carrying goods convenient and efficient. Bottles and jars made it possible to carry liquids in an easy and spill-proof way. It helped people to carry liquid and moist food items without any inconvenience and threat of spiling the food.
Now we have several options to pack and transport the goods, but each of the ways has its pros and cons. These pros and cons depend on what is packed in those bottles and jars.
So, let’s take a look at packaged goods or precisely bottled and jarred packaged goods.
What are packaged goods?
Packaged goods or consumer packaged goods are items that people use in their day-to-day life. These are the goods that meet consumers’ demands of daily use products but in small quantities.
Packaged goods are manufactured, and ready-to-use products but are not in bulk quantities. They are made for individual use yet for everyone and according to their needs.
Packaging of goods is used to protect them from transportation damage, tampering, contamination, and to maintain the quality of the product which is packed.
Packaged goods are used and preferred by the consumers as they are easy to carry, store, and economical to use. With packaged goods, one does not have to buy goods in large quantities and then struggle to store, preserve, and carry them.
Packaged goods or bottled and jarred packaged goods are available in different sizes and quantities, so one can buy them as per the own requirements whenever they need them.
Packaging of goods made it possible to transport different goods around the globe via any means of transportation.
What is bottled and jarred packaged goods?
Bottled and jarred packaged goods are the items that are sold in the packaging of plastic bottles or glass jars. These goods can be anything that you need in your daily life. For instance, it can be your hair oil, floor cleaner, detergent powder, dishwasher, medicines, etc. But most focused bottled and jarred packaged goods are food items.
All the food items, whether liquid or dry that you buy from the market that is packed in plastic bottles or glass jars are called bottled and jarred packaged food. A straightforward and most common example of packaged food is packaged drinking water. We all are acquainted with it. Other food items that we buy in bottles or jars are coffee powder, bottles of ketchup, squashes, jams, pickles, oil, frozen vegetables, fruits, and many more.
Industrial or business view of bottled and jarred packaged goods:
Bottled and jarred packaged goods are a revolution not only for the consumers but also for the manufacturing and packaging industries. In present times we can see a range of packaging verities. This also depends upon the product that has to be packed. But the ultimate aim is to protect the product from any spoilage.
When manufacturers produce goods, their main concern is to supply the products to the consumers with the same quality that they had produced. To help it, packaging industries played an important role; they gave the option to pack good in small quantities for the need of consumers. Use waterproof and oil-proof custom labels, even some eye-catching on the surface so that consumers can quickly identify the type of food and shelf life while obtaining the product.
For this, they required a packaging option that protects the goods inside it and maintains their quality. And what is a better choice than a plastic bottle or glass jar?
With this popularity, and demand for bottled and jarred packaged goods increased in every field, whether it is medical or household.
The most positively affected industry is the food industry, as bottled and jarred packaging gives them a new reliable and better storage of food items irrespective of the type of food items.
Significance of packaging of goods:
Packaging is the introduction of the product to the consumer. There are multiple benefits of the packaging of goods. Let’s see what the significance of packaging goods in proper ways is.
· Proper packaging of goods protects the goods inside out. A packaging must keep the goods safe while it is transferred from one place to another. It prevents and minimizes the threat of damage to the goods during the shipments. Hence the packaging of the goods must be dependable. A seal lock product packaging ensures the integrity of the product.
· According to the marketing strategies, a functional aspect of the packaging of goods is that it promotes the goods and provides a better display. Good packaging contains much information about the product inside. It increases the surety that the consumer will buy the product based on packaging.
· Attractive packaging can give a greater number of consumers. A well-designed packaging of products creates an excellent impression on consumers, and they tend to buy it. Therefore, a packing design is equally important as the safety of goods.
· A single product is produced by many companies. And what makes them different is their packaging, your packaging of the product can differentiate it from other competitors and gain the focus of the consumers. Whatever the product is, its packaging should be in good shape and size; it must be easy to use and attractive.
Reasons for which people prefer bottled and jarred packaged goods:
There are many reasons that people prefer bottled and jarred packaged goods in day-to-day life. Some of them we tried to mention here.
1. Bottles and jars prevent the contamination of the product inside it as they are perfectly sealed.
2. In glass jars, food items like vegetables and fruits can be frozen and packed. There is no threat of chemical sipping into the food.
3. A bottled water container weighs less than any other packaging, so it requires less fuel to ship them and, in turn, reduces the overall cost of the product.
4. These glass and plastic packagings can be recycled many times.
5. Bottles and jars are less costly to pack products and easy to transport.
6. They prevent food from spoiling due to contamination and nature’s effects.
7. Bottles and jars provide enough seals to the product and prevent leakage unless they are open.
8. They help in keeping the food inside them fresh for a long time.
9. It is easy to carry small bottles and jars anywhere.
10. A glass jar or plastic bottle can increase the shelf life unless it gets spoiled in a few days.
11. They provide a sophisticated way to store them anywhere in the house or while carrying.
12. They look good when used in the house.
Advantages of bottled and jarred packaged goods:
Bottled and jarred packaged goods are useful for the consumer as well as the manufacturers and the seller. They are considered a boon for those who live far from home and alone.
Look at some pros of the bottled and jarred packaged goods.
· Food in them is ready to eat at any point in time.
· They are easy to store and do not need further protection like keeping them in any other container.
· When it comes to food in bottles and jars, it is less vulnerable to contamination and is safe than the food items bought loose.
· The shelf life of the food and other multiple-use items increases in jars and bottles.
· The packaging gives protection to the product inside it from environmental and physical damages.
· It provides easy handling, storage, and shipment of the goods.
· A glass jar provides better hygiene to food items and beverages. It protects food from exposure to air and bacteria.
· Glass jars are considered to keep food fresh for a very long time.
· Glass jars and plastic bottles are transparent, which makes it easy to identify the product kept inside them.
· Plastic bottles and glass jars come with excellent sealing caps that work even after they are open.
· In bottles and jars, products come in different sizes and quantities so that one can buy as per personal requirements.
Disadvantages of bottled and jarred packaged goods:
We have seen many pros of bottled and jarred packaged goods. But everything has both good and bad sides, so as bottled and jarred packaged goods. One must know the cons of using bottled and jarred package goods. Here we mentioned some of the cons.
· Packaging goods in bottle and jars produce a large amount of plastic waste.
· Packaging of goods increases the cost of the product, which a consumer has to bear. The smaller the packaging size, the more the overall cost of the product,
· The main concern is health; packaged food or any other product that we use for our body is not considered good for our health.
· Packaged food has artificial flavours and preservatives, which is not at all good for health.
· The waste from the packaging of products introduces 20% extra waste in an environment that cannot be destroyed.
· We know that plastic packaging is non-biodegradable that affects other living beings, including animals on land as well as underwater.
· These bottles and jars can be recycled, but it is the cost of recycling and the process which make it difficult.
· Further, recycled Glass and plastic are not considered safe to use again and again.
· Glass bottles and jars are prone to breakage. So, it is not safe if they are handled by kids.
Avoid purchasing the packaged product with these marks:
We find packaged entirely safe to use and convenient to carry, but sometimes we avoid these warnings. Some things mentioned in packages, food jars and bottles seem good, but they are harmful. So, you must avoid buying such bottled and jarred packaged goods.
· When the term “Enriched” is written on the packaging, it looks healthy and useful, but in reality, it is a punch to your health. You can see this word on packs of pasta, bread, flour to make them look nutritional. But they are more subjected to low nutritional values.
· The word “Fortified” is usually used on food packaging whose food is known for natural nutritional values. This term means that food item is added with vitamins and minerals to compensate for their natural nutritional deficiency caused due to process of packaging.
Glass jar or plastic bottles – which is better?
Glass jars: Advantages of glass jars: One pro of glass jars is they are not prone to rust or any other still damage. They are not affected by environmental changes. Glass is better for food conservation. They can be used for a long time if washed properly. They can be recycled.
Disadvantages of glass jars: These glass jars are quite expensive. Hence the food items also become costly.
· Plastic bottles:
Advantages of plastic bottles: Plastic is a pretty versatile material, so it can be modified according to the item that is to be packed inside it. It protects from environmental changes. Easy to handle for everyone.
Disadvantages of plastic bottles: They are harmful to the environment as they are non-biodegradable. Some of the plastic packagings can not be recycled and reused.
Bottled and jarred packaged goods go through various processes. Especially when it comes to food items, it passes through many stages made free from micro-organism growth conditions. But at the same time, these processes decrease the nutritional values.